Homeowners can be put off the prospect of renovating their bathroom because they believe it will be a costly endeavour. The good news is, if you’re careful about the materials you pick, your design and the method of installation, you can save a fortune on revitalising your bathroom. A flash modern bathroom is a telltale sign of a hygienic home, so putting the time and effort into ensuring you have a bathroom you’re proud of is essential. In this article we’re going to be outlining a few of the key ways you can save money on your future bathroom installations.
As a home ages its value can deteriorate rapidly in comparison to its modern counterparts that are taking the spotlight in property value. If you’re considering giving your bathroom a face-lift, a bathroom renovation is your safest bet. An outdated bathroom is a telltale sign of a deteriorating home. For this reason, taking the time to revitalise your bathroom poses a range of significant benefits that you may not be aware of. Some of these benefits include:
- Increased property value – as mentioned, a poorly designed and outdated bathroom is a common deterrent for potential property buyers. Ensuring that your property is always equipped with the latest bathroom trends is fundamental for competing in the market.
- Long-term financial gain – if you’re putting off your bathroom renovation because you think it’ll cost too much money, you’re only going to have to pay more for repairs and maintenance later. The sooner you implement an efficient design, the better.
- Boosted hygiene – maintaining a clean bathroom is fundamental for maintaining a strong immune system. Having a well-designed bathroom is one sure way you can provide yourself with a place to take care of your health more thoroughly.
- Reduction of clutter – one of the ugliest features of an outdated bathroom is a messy layout. By having a cluttered bathroom, it takes away from its functionality. Modern bathroom designs are simplistic and aim to boost the functionality and accessibility of your bathroom appliances.
- A healthier home – not only will a clean bathroom boost your health, but you’ll also be equipped with a room in your home that you’re proud to show off. By revitalising your bathroom, you can be sure you’ll have a home you can confidently show off to your family and peers.
What is a Reasonable Price for a Bathroom Renovation?
If a contractor is telling you that your bathroom renovation is going to cost you upwards of $20,000, get in contact with another. Typically, residential bathroom renovation contractors know that their clients will unquestionably pay a larger fee for a bathroom design with modern elements. Contractors will claim that certain aspects of their installations are worth a fortune. However, a lot of the time it isn’t really the case. The ‘exotic brazen shower-racks’ they’re claiming are worth a fortune are just a way for them to earn some extra coin.
The key determinant for the cost of your bathroom renovation is the size of your bathroom. If you’re going to pay someone to carry out your bathroom installation for you, a general pricing guide for an industry standard bathroom renovation is:
- 1×2 (2m2) – $6,000 – $11,000
- 2×2 (4m4) – $11,000 – $16,000
- 3×2 (6m2) – $10,000 – $19,000
- 4×2 (8m2) – $20,000 – $30,000
- 10m2 + – $30,000 +
Where Can I Find Good Bathroom Renovators in Brisbane?
If you’re living in Brisbane CBD and you’re prepared to pay contractors to renovate your bathroom, you’re in luck. JC Bathrooms specialise in bathroom designs Brisbane and they are among the most affordable in Australia. Due to the high degree of competition between contractors, finding a quality price for your bathroom renovation is easier than you might think it would be. By calling around between your local bathroom renovators, you’ll be able to compare quotes to come across the most cost-effective route for you.
How Can I Save Money on a Bathroom Renovation?
Bathroom renovations can be expensive, particularly if you have a larger bathroom. For this reason, it’s commonplace for people who are renovating their bathrooms to try to take short-cuts to ensure a cheaper overall price. Although there are ways you can save money on your bathroom installation, there are foundational features that need to be carried out correctly or your bathroom design will reduce the value of your property instead of increasing it. For this reason, hiring a professional is always the best way to ensure a strong finish.
With that being said, a few of the key principles you should keep in mind when trying to find ways to reduce the cost of your bathroom renovation are:
- Don’t move your plumbing fixtures: getting pipes replaced is expensive. If you want to save money on your bathroom renovation, do your best to leave your plumbing fixtures as they are currently. If you’re considering moving your toilet or shower to another part of the bathroom, consider whether it’s worth the hefty fee that will accompany it.
- Plan carefully before your installation: by assessing how much of your bathroom actually needs to be changed to achieve your desired design, you’ll be able to consider what can stay and what needs to go. You might be surprised to discover that replacing sink handles, shower heads and shower curtains can sometimes be enough to give a bathroom a new aesthetic appeal. For this reason, make sure you thoroughly assess what really needs to be changed before attempting the renovation.
- Call around and compare quotes: a lot of the time, contractors think they can get away with charging too much for their services. For this reason, the most cost-effective route for hiring professional bathroom renovators is to call around and compare quotes. By doing this, you’ll be able to find the cheapest option for you.
- Shop around for your materials: to make sure that the materials utilised in your bathroom renovation are as cheap as possible, the best way to go about it is to show around on your own accord. This way, you can find the cheapest retail prices for bathroom materials. You should also consider searching around for second-hand materials for the cheapest pricing.
- Do the renovation yourself: if you have experience in construction or consider yourself to be a handyman, attempting the bathroom renovation yourself can be an extremely cost effective way to get your bathroom renovated. If you need help, don’t hesitate to contact your family and friends to ask for their assistance. You’d be surprised how much support is available around you if you simply ask!
3 Common DIY Bathroom Design Principles
If you’re looking to add some colour to your bathroom, but want something that’s not as overwhelming, try adding a muted tone with simple bare walls. This minimalistic aesthetic is popular in Scandinavian design. In your bathroom, it’s essential not to get too carried away with aesthetics and decorations. A minimalistic design is useful because it focuses on the core functionality, which is the sole purpose of any bathroom. Fancy mirrors, flashy vases and extravagant antiques are worthless if they don’t comfortably serve the functionality of your bathroom. Whether you’re an expert designer or a novice enthusiast, here’s a few evergreen bathroom design principles you can follow to improve the aesthetic of your new bathroom:
- Balance & Contrast: It’s important to balance the weights of different tones, textures and shapes in your bathroom designs. Ideally, the weighting of elements on one side of your bathroom should be balanced with the weighting on other sides of the bathroom. For example, if you’ve decorated your window seal with foliage, try to add a picture frame to the other side of your room.
- Simplicity: As Scandinavian design has swept the world by storm for its simplistic and minimalistic aesthetic appeal, masterclass designers from around the planet have drawn inspiration from different elements of simplistic and minimalistic design. The most effective use of simplicity is employing empty space. Empty space will serve your bathroom with a clean aesthetic that puts an emphasis on functionality.
- Incorporate some Elements of Feng Shui: Whether you believe in the ancient Chinese philosophy of Feng Shui or not, the elements it employs always provides great direction for interior designers. By aligning the elements of your bathroom in a certain way, it is said to enhance your “chi” or “positive energies”. To a lot of designers, this just means that the aesthetic appeal of your bathroom is satisfying. Feng Shui incorporates the use of plants, wood and other features to give your space a more homely appeal. Plus, adhering to these principles is said to bring you good fortune. Why not give it a shot?
Where Can I Go For More Information on Bathroom Renovations?
If you’re looking for more information about renovating your bathroom on a budget, it never hurts to do your own research. As mentioned, a sleek new bathroom installation is a telltale sign of a valuable home. For this reason, ensuring that you find the best contractors to conduct your bathroom renovation is essential. If you’re looking for somewhere to find bathroom design inspiration, Pinterest is a great place to start. There you’ll be able to browse through some of the world’s most impressive bathroom designs to extract inspiration for your own home. By gathering a collection of pictures for what you want your bathroom to look like, you’ll be able to help your contractors interpret your vision.